Open date: November 2, 2020
Last review date: December 2, 2021
Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Final date: March 31, 2021
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
NATURE AND PURPOSE
The position of Specialist has a narrow focus in a specialized area and provides technical or specialized expertise (e.g., with instrumentation and research equipment or with social science research methods) in the planning and execution of a research project. The Specialist stays apprised of emerging issues and problems and maintains technical competence in the designated area(s) of specialization. Within this defined area and when appropriate, the Specialist is expected to provide leadership, facilitate teamwork, and develop collaborative relationships with colleagues and to supply input into the planning of research and educational programs. Normally, Specialists do not have Principal Investigator (PI) status but may obtain permission by exception and/or collaborate with a PI in preparing research proposals for extramural funding. The Specialist is evaluated for merit and promotion using three basic criteria outlined below.
It will be necessary to occasionally work odd hours as necessary to conduct pre-scheduled lab works and meet deadlines. The ideal candidate will have strong interpersonal, communication, and decision-making skills; as well as the ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
I. Essential Responsibilities (90%)
60% RESEARCH-FOCUSED LABORATORY WORK (INCL. SAMPLE PROCESSING & ASSAYS)
- Provide support in the daily workflow of processing various types of samples and data collection reporting, which includes scheduling, data entry, labeling, processing, storing, inventorying, and shipping samples.
- Prepare reagents, vaccine doses, challenge doses, and treatment cocktails.
- Assist laboratory staff in performing assays such as enzyme immunoassay, immunofluorescence, PCR, and tissue culture.
- Assist laboratory staff in sample collection and processing at necropsy, endoscopic procedures, surgical procedures, clinical roundups.
- Assist in training new employees, students, and collaborators in general lab protocols and procedures.
- Interact with investigators, technicians within and beyond the lab, and shipping companies.
- Maintain accurate documentation and log of the samples and safety documents.
- Maintain and archive specimens.
20% ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES and DATA MANAGEMENT
- Operate computers for database management, analysis, word processing, and document preparation (MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, Prism, R, Endnote, and Oracle).
- Maintain laboratory website in collaboration with the IT personnel.
- Review, copy, organize, and mail reports to collaborators.
- Organize and file lab forms. Maintain detailed, accurate, organized records of all laboratory experiments, procedures, data, and communications related to laboratory business.
- Retrieve computerized information through websites via the internet.
- Create and maintain bibliographic databases.
- Train new employees, students, and collaborators in lab maintenance, the performance of assays, and data management.
10% LAB MAINTENANCE SUPPORT
- Restocking laboratory supplies and reagents
- Perform standard operating procedures, including biohazard and chemical safety for core, shared use, and research laboratories.
- Train, monitor, and schedule users.
- Update and revise current protocols and monitor for compliance.
- Perform quality control of machines and instruments.
- Perform preventative maintenance and cleaning of laboratory equipment.
- Assist in the supervision of Student Assistants.
II. PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCE AND ACTIVITY (5% EFFORT)
- The incumbent will assist in preparing research presentations for local stakeholder groups, regional meetings, and appropriate national meetings. Presentations will be delivered in poster and/or oral presentation formats. The incumbent will be encouraged to have membership with the American Society for Microbiology or similar professional society.
- Review manuscripts in collaboration with the principal investigator for accuracy prior to submission. Assist with summarizing data, including creating tables, graphs, and figures.
- Taking online courses related to the work including project management, organizational development, safety services, data science, R programming,
III. UNIVERSITY AND PUBLIC SERVICE (5% EFFORT)
- Participate in mentoring of undergraduate students in the research laboratory as appropriate.
- Participate in activities of committees within the department, college, campus, and other University entities, as appropriate.
Participate in supporting activities related to teaching where expertise is appropriate. This may include assisting the principal investigator with teaching activities related to medical microbiology and immunology.